How to have a
hot… sustainable summer
We know this year hasn’t been easy when making any kind of plans. But whether you’re heading abroad, planning a staycation or simply enjoying the good weather in your hometown this year, we’ve put together a few tips on how to enjoy summer, while still keeping the planet top of mind.
1 - PLASTIC-FREE PICNIC
Summer weather calls for summer picnics. But, picnics can also be a source of food waste and single-use plastic—from ready made salads and dips, to disposable plastic cutlery. So, here’s a few ways to minimize your impact:
- Prepare your food at home and bring it in reusable containers
- Use beeswax wraps like
Pretty Bee Fresh instead of plastic cling film
- Bring sustainable straws like these
- Choose reusable cutlery sets like Yuggen’s Bamboo Travel Cutlery Set
- Don’t leave trash behind and recycle what you can
2 - CHOOSE REEF-SAFE SUNSCREEN
Did you know your sunscreen could be polluting the ocean? Lots of them have chemicals that can harm marine life and contribute to coral bleaching, even at low concentrations. This can result in coral death and is the top cause of reef extinction. Here are some reef-safe options:
- REN Clean Screen Mineral SPF 30
- Pai British Summer Time SPF 30
3 - CYCLE OR WALK
Make the most of the good weather by choosing to walk or cycle and lower your carbon footprint at the same time.
- Go for a summer bike ride to discover new areas around you
- If you don’t have a bike yet and are looking to buy one, consider getting one second hand or renting one from a local bike provider
4 - KEEP THE PLANET TOP OF MIND
Educate yourself on the topics that can help you make a difference.
- There is no planet B by Mike Berners Lee
- Doughnut Economics by Kate Raworth
- Let my people go surfing by Yvon Chouinard
- No one is too small to make a difference by Greta Thunberg
- Drawdown: The Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed to Reverse Global Warming by Paul Hawken
5 - CARRY A REUSABLE WATER BOTTLE
The world uses around 1 million plastic bottles every minute, and over 90% of those don’t get recycled! Much of this ends up in the ocean where it harms biodiversity. With oceans predicted to have more plastic in weight than fish by 2050, it's never been more urgent to ditch that plastic water bottle. Choose PANGAIA x Ocean Bottle for an added bonus, as each one sold funds the collection of 1000 ocean-bound plastic bottles before they even enter the ocean.
6 - BRING YOUR OWN REUSABLE STRAW
The US uses over 500 million straws every single day. Similar to plastic bottles and plastic bags, these usually end up as plastic waste and contribute to plastic pollution in the ocean. So, this summer make sure to ask for your drink without a straw, or bring your own reusable straw that won’t end up in the ocean.
7 - IF TRAVEL IS ON THE CARDS, TRAVEL RESPONSIBLY
We know travel plans are still pretty uncertain, but if you are planning to take a trip somewhere, try to pick environmentally friendly modes of transport where you can and be sure to show your environment the respect it deserves.
- Take the train instead of flying where possible
- Don’t leave trash behind
- Take this opportunity to spend more time in nature and connect with our planet