IMPACT & SCIENCE REPORT 2022
2022 was a big year for PANGAIA. We have had many successes this year, and, like many, we have also faced challenges.
We navigated demanding macroeconomic environments, overcame inevitable innovation setbacks, and pushed the boundaries with disruptive products, all while also achieving B Corp certification.
We are here to share our highlights and key learnings throughout this report. Scroll to explore some of the highlights and download the full report for more detail.
- In 2022, we reshaped how we approach innovation across our business. We introduced our ‘Innovation Readiness Level’ process to more teams and will continue to use this process as the basis of our work.
- We launched 2 PANGAIA LAB innovations. First, The Infinite Tee, powered by Infinited Fiber. The world’s first T-shirt made from 100% post-consumer cotton-rich textile waste. Then, The NXT GEN Hoodie, powered by Spiber. The first hoodie using Brewed Protein™ designed as a replacement for animal protein fibers, such as wool or silk, for a cruelty-free fine fabric.
- We introduced 9 new materials and 3 finishes through joint ventures, industrial partnerships and some proprietary patents. Among these innovations are new and improved versions of existing technologies (i.e FLWRDWN™), demonstrating the importance of iteration in the innovation process.
- We initiated a range of new research projects with academic partners and innovators to ensure that we continue to stay at the cutting edge of research.
Materials & systems
- In 2022, we continued to build our governance process throughout our value chain—updating our Preferred Materials List (PML) to include more materials and re-evaluating our ratings.
- In 2022, 29% of our materials in products sold were ranked as ‘Champions’ (1%) & Runner Ups’ (28%).
- We launched our cotton strategy, prioritizing 'Regenerative', 'Recycled' and 'Diversified' as ways to future-proof our most prominent fiber category.
- We completed an additional 6 LCAs (Life Cycle Assessments), with a renewed focus on assessing the impact of our innovative material launches. In 2022, 96% of PANGAIA apparel and accessories products sold were covered by an LCA.
- We launched our in conversion to regenerative cotton product range as well as our 100% traceable NATIVA™ wool range sourced from Nativa farms in Tasmania, Australia.
The number of innovations introduced in 2022 - comprising 9 new or improved versions of materials and 3 new or improved finishes.
The amount of trees planted, protected and restored since launching the Tomorrow Tree Fund in 2020, powered by Milkywire.
Our Tier 1 factories have a third-party social audit verifying the working conditions, going above industry standards.
The amount of fabric sold through our B2B services in 2022, bringing game-changing technologies to the wider industry.
- In 2022, we hit our milestone of planting, protecting and restoring 1 million trees through our Tomorrow Tree Fund powered by Milkywire.
- We determined our carbon footprint by extending our environmental management system, improving our data quality and coverage, using Plan A’s carbon accounting software.
- We set up an internal carbon tax on our Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions and invested this into cutting-edge carbon capture innovations through the Climate Transformation Fund.
- We offset all of our pop-up retail spaces in 2022 with verified carbon credits from a portfolio of renewable energy, social and reforestation projects.
- We committed to tackling microfiber pollution from our apparel and won the Microfiber Innovation Challenge in partnership with MTIX, through multiplexed laser surface enhancement (MLSE®) technology.
- In 2022, we established new ethical policies for our partners including releasing a new human rights policy.
- We extended our transparency by mapping and publishing our Tier 1 subcontractors and Tier 2 suppliers.
- Our factories continued to monitor their working conditions with 95% third-party audited, demonstrating good practices going above industry standards.
- We enhanced our employee policies and benefits, increased our learning & development opportunities and introduced employee communities.
- We ensured fair pay and living wages within our operations, achieving UK recognition as a Living Wage Employer.
- We continued to strengthen our partnerships in 2022. We believe collaboration with different stakeholders within and across industries is the only to reach our Earth positive ambition.
- 2022 was our most successful year from a B2B perspective to date - working with 25 partners across multiple different industries.
- We reached over 75,000 people through the ripple effect of our B2B partners.
- We shared 15 innovations through our B2B service - accelerating the commercialization of game-changing technologies to the wider industry.
Our commitment to building an Earth-positive business began more than 3 years ago. This report has shown we have made progress; however, we know this is only the beginning and there is a long way to go.
We are at our most potent when we work together, combining our innovation, creativity and imagination to design a better future for the world we share. We invite all brands, institutions, academics, innovators, and educators to join us in amplifying and scaling solutions.